The Price of Puts
Today I want to consider the case of put options. This is the price of the underlying security over the past six months:

I will start with a put that stays in-the-money over the whole period, MSQ-MX, with strike price $30. If I were to short MSFT at the beginning of September and cover in October, I would make a gain of (27.25-24.5)/24.5 = 11.22%, where I am neglecting the effect of the interest charged on my stock loan. A similar trade done using MSQ-MX would be done by buying the put and selling it for a profit later on. No actual shorting of MSFT stock would be needed. The yield would be in this case (5.5-2.8)/2.8 = 96.42%.

With MSQ-MT, strike price $29.5, I would get (5-2.5)/2.5 = 100%:

Using MSQ-MY, strike price $27.5, gives (3.25-1.1)/1.1 = 195%. The chart shows the price action during the periods this put goes in-the-money:

MSQ-MS, strike price $27, gives (2.8-0.8)/0.8 = 250%:

MSQ-MJ, strike price $25, with only a short period at-the-money, yields (1.3-0.3)/0.3 = 333%:

MSQ-MR, strike price $24,5, is almost always out-of-the-money, and yields (1.05-0.25)/0.25 = 320%:

MSQ-MX, strike price $22,5, is always out-of-the money and gives (0.375-0.1)/0.1 = 275%:

I see again in the case of puts that the best gain on a trade of this kind is obtained by picking a put that goes from out-of-the-money most to at-the-money.
The depreciation of puts follows a similar pattern to the one noted in the case of calls. It gets more pronounced to deeper out-of-the-money they are. Out-of-the-money puts behave quite like penny stocks as well.
Categories: stock options
Technorati Tags: stock options

I will start with a put that stays in-the-money over the whole period, MSQ-MX, with strike price $30. If I were to short MSFT at the beginning of September and cover in October, I would make a gain of (27.25-24.5)/24.5 = 11.22%, where I am neglecting the effect of the interest charged on my stock loan. A similar trade done using MSQ-MX would be done by buying the put and selling it for a profit later on. No actual shorting of MSFT stock would be needed. The yield would be in this case (5.5-2.8)/2.8 = 96.42%.

With MSQ-MT, strike price $29.5, I would get (5-2.5)/2.5 = 100%:

Using MSQ-MY, strike price $27.5, gives (3.25-1.1)/1.1 = 195%. The chart shows the price action during the periods this put goes in-the-money:

MSQ-MS, strike price $27, gives (2.8-0.8)/0.8 = 250%:

MSQ-MJ, strike price $25, with only a short period at-the-money, yields (1.3-0.3)/0.3 = 333%:

MSQ-MR, strike price $24,5, is almost always out-of-the-money, and yields (1.05-0.25)/0.25 = 320%:

MSQ-MX, strike price $22,5, is always out-of-the money and gives (0.375-0.1)/0.1 = 275%:

I see again in the case of puts that the best gain on a trade of this kind is obtained by picking a put that goes from out-of-the-money most to at-the-money.
The depreciation of puts follows a similar pattern to the one noted in the case of calls. It gets more pronounced to deeper out-of-the-money they are. Out-of-the-money puts behave quite like penny stocks as well.
Categories: stock options
Technorati Tags: stock options
![Blogger Feed [Blogger Feed]](http://adwords.blogspot.com/media/blogger-feed.png)
![Add to My Yahoo! [Add to My Yahoo!]](http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/my/addtomyyahoo4.gif)
![Subscribe with Bloglines [Subscribe with Bloglines]](http://www.bloglines.com/images/sub_modern1.gif)

![Blogroll Me! [Blogroll Me!]](http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/3803/blogrollme1uw.png)
![Add to Technorati Favorites! [Add to Technorati Favorites!]](http://static.technorati.com/pix/fave/tech-fav-4.gif)
posted by Benz at 09:09 










0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home